Saturday, May 20, 2017

Porsche Bike X Gold Country Challenge


Today I rode the 2004 Porsche Bike X on the 53-mile Gold Country Challenge in western Nevada County. The ride was absolutely fantastic. It did get a little warm toward the end, but the 60 degree start, no wind and excellent road conditions made this ride a favorite so far this year.

My friends and I started at the Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley at 7am. The ride traveled through downtown Grass Valley before connecting to Ridge Road and heading to Nevada City. I know this route very well. Exiting Nevada City we flew down Highway 49 to the Yuba River. Then ascending a steep grade to North San Juan. The ride to this point was perfect - the 2004 Porsche Bike X and my legs were in great form.

From North San Juan we again flew down Highway 49 but split off to Bridgeport with another fast descent.

Then the uphill and warmer temperatures kicked in for the long slog to the finish. It got rather warm by the end, but a very cold beer awaited us!

This was my second Gold Country Challenge. Last year I rode the 1998 Porsche Bike S mountain bike with road tires. This year the 2004 Porsche Bike X hybrid-turned road bike. Riding up the hills felt easier. Riding on the flats felt faster. Funny thing is, this year took me two minutes longer than last year. Even though the Bike X felt better, my riding friends traveled slower this year. I always ride with them, so I had some wait time included in my final time.

Even though this was a fun ride and I felt I rode well, the real test is coming up in July - the 129-mile Death Ride. So, today was nice but I will need to step up my game in June to be ready for the ultra difficult Death Ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Porsche Bike R Coast & Coast Adventure completed

With a bit of luck, last year I was able to buy a well-used 1999 Porsche Bike R. I have wanted a Porsche road bike for sometime, but they ar...