Sunday, February 12, 2017

Snowy Porsche Bike S ride in Truckee

Even though I'm totally committed to riding the rebuilt 2004 Porsche Bike X road bike in 2017, sometimes a mountain bike is just better than a road bike. Today was one of those days. Even though I'm itching to ride the Bike X, the weather has been miserable. Rain, snow and cold temperatures are not ideal for a road bike.

So, today I chose the 1998 Porsche Bike S for a 22.5 mile wet and wild ride from Glenshire to Donner Lake and back in Truckee, California. I stayed on the paved road since no mountain bike trails are open due to the snow. But even the paved roads were full of snow, water, sand, mud and pot holes. I headed out at 1pm for a short ride trying to grab the only few hours when the temperatures were above freezing. 

I recently removed the road bike tires off the 1998 Porsche Bike S in favor of fat tires for mountain bike riding. I figured I didn't need road bike tires on my Porsche mountain when I have a Porsche road bike now. And I'm glad I put the Continental SpeedKing 2.2 mountain bike tires back on - they performed perfectly in the mixed conditions! 

I rode fast down hill through wet, sandy and snowy conditions and the bike and tires did the job they were designed to do. Holding the road well, I was able to cover the 22.5 mile distance in an hour and a half. Riding along Donner Lake I noticed the lake was half covered with ice. Quite a beautiful sight. The end result was a great ride with a big smile on my face - a lot of dirt on my face too. I was covered with water, sand and mud. So was the bike. When I got home the bike, and me, needed a bath!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Porsche Bike R Coast & Coast Adventure completed

With a bit of luck, last year I was able to buy a well-used 1999 Porsche Bike R. I have wanted a Porsche road bike for sometime, but they ar...