Friday, August 25, 2023

Porsche Bike RSR

Daydreaming yesterday, I started thinking about a possible next bike idea. Let’s call it … project Porsche Bike RSR. 

While I enjoy riding my current Porsche Bikes, they are over 20 years old and I fear the aluminum frames won’t last forever. I might have some years left. But likely not another decade. Plus, I’m really enjoying riding the Bike R road racing bike. Never had a bike that fast, going back to a heavier/slower bike doesn’t interest me.

So, what to do? How about taking one of the newer Porsche carbon fiber frames and turning it into a road racing bike? The frame from the Bike RS could be ideal. The RS only weighs 19 pounds and that’s with heavier tires. But the Bike RS has a flat handlebar, the wrong gears for road racing and those fatter tires. Plus the front forks are too tall. 

Daydreaming about building the ultimate Porsche road bike, here’s what I came up with. Find a recent Bike RS, preferably one of the most recent black frame versions. Strip the bike of basically everything and replace with the latest road bike gear. Switch from the RS mountain bike gears to an electric shifting Shimano Ultegra road racing groupset with carbon fiber drop handlebars. Also change the rims to carbon aero rims and 700c x 28 tires with a low profile front fork to create a more aggressive stance. 

I bet this would at least maintain the same 19 lb. weight, if not even a little less. This Bike RS with components similar to the Bike R of the late 1990s and early 2000s, would be a true racing bike … hence the rename to Porsche Bike RSR. 

Using a little Photoshop imagination, here’s what it could look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Porsche Bike R Coast & Coast Adventure completed

With a bit of luck, last year I was able to buy a well-used 1999 Porsche Bike R. I have wanted a Porsche road bike for sometime, but they ar...