Sunday, April 3, 2016

Another 50 miler on the Porsche Bike S


I rode another 50 miles around the western Nevada County foothills in California on my 1998 Porsche Bike S today.

I retraced most of the same route as last week, but this week's ride ended slightly faster with an average speed of 12.3 miles per hour.

I have scoured the Internet and have not found anyone that has ridden one of these classic bikes this far. Since this blog is now read by people in nearly 30 countries, maybe someone will speak up? Until then I'll consider my 50 mile rides the world distance record on a Porsche Bike S mountain bike!

Today's road ride started in Grass Valley and quickly hit some steep hills before a long and fast downhill portion. I clocked exactly 40 mph through a downhill straight with a posted radar traffic sign. I was flying!

I started the ride early in the morning. It's finally warming up and no bike tights needed! The beginning of this route travels through mature pines trees in some higher elevations before dropping into lower foothill oak trees. I saw woodpeckers, jays, geese and plenty of smaller birds.

As the temperature warmed up more people started coming out. I had to dodge cars and pedestrians for the last 10 miles.

I stopped by Tour of Nevada City for a picture of my Porsche Bike S at my favorite bike shop. Owner Duane Strawser stepped out for a quick picture and a high-five before I got back on the road.

The next two weekends will be shorter and faster rides as I prepare for the 65 mile Chico Wildflower 65 bike ride on April 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...