Monday, August 19, 2019

A memory fulfilled...

While at Werks Reunion Monterey, I noticed a woman setting up a tent with many colorful nicely displayed Porsche pillows. One of the pillows was exactly like the yellow 911 turbo pillow my Grandmother made for me when I was 14 years old. I wandered over and mentioned that I had some history with a Porsche pillow like these. I told her my story of my Grandmother fueling my passion for Porsche cars by gifting me with items such as these pillows. Then it sank in and I asked, "what is your name?"

She relied, "Margie Smith-Haas"

I froze. Then gave her a big hug. I can't believe I just met the woman that designed the pillows that my Grandma made for me all those years ago!

I remembered that name "Margie Smith-Haas" on the bottom of the pillows my Grandmother gave me. Not only did she design these pillows, with Porsche family approval, she was a Porsche race car driver as well!

Unfortunately, as I grew up I didn't keep these pillows. I don't even recall what happened to them. I suppose a teenager doesn't "need" pillows and I threw them out.

But much, much older now, I regret not having them and seeing Margie and the exact same pillow called to me. So, I bought one of these antique Porsche pillows ... the same one my dearly departed Grandmother stuffed for me all those years ago.

This pillow I will keep forever.

I was honored to meet Margie Smith-Haas and it fulfilled a longtime memory of mine.

1 comment:

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...