Saturday, August 10, 2019

C&O

While in the town of Frederick, Maryland today I learned about the 184.5 mile dirt trail from Washington, DC to Cumberland, Pennsylvania. I think I just found my new Porsche bicycle goal!

This Chesapeake and Ohio Canal runs along the Potomac River and is a historical significant park. The canal was built in the mid 1800s to transport goods up and down the East Coast but by the time it was finished was obsolete due to the trains that connected the major cities.

I haven't had enough seat time lately to tackle this many miles across a couple days. So I am thinking I can start now and build up to an attempt next fall. Based on my prior cycling experience I'm thinking I could do this over two days with one overnight at a bed-and-breakfast somewhere. That would be like the equivalent of two century rides back to back.

The big question right now is which bike would I use: the Bike S or Bike X? I've written both over 100 miles. They both have their pros and cons. But I'll save that comparison for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...