Saturday, January 23, 2021

Great Allegheny Passage pre-planning, part two

 

After some review (drinking bier and web surfing) I'm thinking the GAP plan of attack is to drive the four hours to Pittsburgh, PA on a Thursday and stay overnight in downtown Pittsburgh. Then Friday ride 75 miles on the 2004 Porsche Bike X toward home on the GAP to Ohiopyle and stay the night and refuel. Saturday ride another 75 miles to Cumberland, MD to complete the GAP and drive two hours home in the 2006 Porsche Cayenne S support vehicle. Sunday will be celebrating and cleaning the bike.

I found riding the C&O last fall ideal, from a weather and timing standpoint. Cool temperatures and lower chance of rain makes me think that would be a good strategy again this year. Just not sure I'm willing to wait that long! I'll see how the 2021 training goes after a winter of gaining weight.

As for the ride direction, I like getting the longer drive out of the way first and not after 150 miles of pedaling. And the Pittsburgh to Cumberland direction looks more fun with a gradual uphill followed by a long downhill and the opportunity to finish strong.

As soon as temps climb back into the high 50s, I'll get outside for training. Until then, inside stationary bike as I'm doing right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...