Monday, May 17, 2021

2004 Porsche Bike X bottom bracket, part 1

Noticing a slight wobble in the pedals, I started to research what would cause that. The answer seemed to be the bottom bracket.

I bought this bike back in November 2016 with very few miles on it. But since then I have racked up thousands of miles. I replaced many components in that time, including the rear cassette, chain and of course all of the specific components for the Death Ride and now the upcoming C&O/GAP 340 mile ride. But the front bottom bracket and bearings haven't been changed. When the pedals began to wobble and a distinctive clicking sound started, I knew it was time.

My goal is to keep my Porsche Bikes in as near original condition with OEM parts if possible. So digging into my Porsche Bike X brochure, I found the bottom bracket is a TruVativ Giga Pipe Team SL 68mm-73mm bottom bracket. But what the spindle width was, I didn't know, so I could not even order a new one. 

Researching what I needed, I found several tools I didn't have, specifically a crank puller and a bottom bracket 8-tooth tool. Rounding those up at my local bike shop was a win (most didn't carry these). I also needed a 36 metric socket to use the 8-tooth tool, since I wanted to use my torque wrench to re-assemble. 

Taking the 2004 Porsche Bike X pedals off and removing the bottom bracket with these recently purchased tools revealed a TruVativ Giga Pipe Team SL 68mm-73mm 113mm bottom bracket. Jumping on the internet, I found and ordered a new one from Universal Cycles in Pennsylvania. I'm happy to find OEM parts available so close to home!

I have a trip to Florida this week, but I look forward to putting the Bike X back together when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Porsche Bike R Coast & Coast Adventure completed

With a bit of luck, last year I was able to buy a well-used 1999 Porsche Bike R. I have wanted a Porsche road bike for sometime, but they ar...