Monday, May 2, 2016

Death Ride on a Porsche bike?

As I'm gearing up for my summer bike riding schedule, I am already daydreaming about next year. I have planned a 55 mile ride this May, 72 miles around Lake Tahoe in September and a 100 miler in Sacramento in October.

But now I'm starting to think about possible riding adventures in 2017. All of my 2016 riding plans include the challenge of riding a 1998 Porsche Bike S mountain bike.

Next year I'm thinking I'd like to step up to an even greater challenge: the Death Ride.

The Death Ride conquers five Lake Tahoe mountain passes in 125 miles on a bicycle in July each year. This a grueling ride and one of the biggest bicycle challenges in my area. With such a challenge, I don't think I should or could use my 1998 Porsche Bike S. I'll need a new bike.

So I have this dilemma. What bike to buy.

I'm thinking I'll need something lighter. The new Porsche Bike RS is less than 20 pounds and has state-of-the-art Shimano XTR components, a completely carbon fiber frame and 29" wheels. This would be a trade up from my 25 pound, aluminum frame and 26" wheel Bike S for sure.

Or the other choice would be the 1999 Porsche Bike R. This was an aluminum frame road racer with 700C rims. It was also less than 20 pounds with Shimano Dura Ace gearing. This bike however only has 18 gears compared to the 20 on the RS.

So, what bike would you choose?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...