Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Porsche Bike X is on its way!


Somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean is a 2004 Porsche Bike X making its way to the USA and more specifically Truckee, California. This ultra rare Porsche hybrid bicycle is all black, even the Porsche name and bike logo, on a road bike frame, road bike rims but with front shocks, seat post shock and mountain bike-type tires. The mix of road and mountain bike features is what constitutes a hybrid bike. Half mountain, half road bike. I'd probably call it more of a cross bike, as hybrid now seems to mean pedal and electric power to me. But back in 2004 when this bike was produced an electric assist bike didn't exist!

The Porsche Bike X could arrive as early as next Monday or Tuesday. International shipping takes time though and I am patient. I look forward to opening the box and letting the set up begin.

My goal is to turn this hybrid Bike X into a hill climbing monster. I plan to do the work this winter while riding some long distance mileage down in Sacramento. The changes I intend to make will take a few months to track down the parts.

The frame, rims and gearing are perfect for what I need. The seat post, seat, front fork, tires and handlebar grips will all be replaced with more modern, lighter and all German components. My goal is to build a lighter mountain climbing bike but as close to all original as possible.

All of this effort is to prepare for the July 8, 2017 Death Ride. The Death Ride is a 125-mile, 5 mountain pass organized bike ride event in the California Alps in the South Lake Tahoe area.

I look forward to the next eight months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...