Tuesday, August 31, 2021

2022 Bike S rebuild?

Riding the 1998 Porsche Bike S today made me realize that the thousands of miles are beginning to take a toll on this bicycle. That was always the plan though. I have a 1996 all-original Bike S in pristine condition. I haven't ridden that bike much since it's in great shape. The 1998 on the other hand was purchased and rebuilt to be my daily Porsche mountain bike. It has served that purpose well. But now it's getting a little worn out. I hope it can complete one more epic ride ... the 340-mile C&O GAP ride. A friend of mine is riding the 1998 Bike S while I'll be on my 2004 Porsche Bike X. I hope the Bike S holds together for him!

With this Porsche bike in dire need of some attention, I am pondering a full rebuild with modern parts and even a repaint. As I mentioned, I already have an all-original Bike S, so why not go crazy and build a modern day Porsche Bike S? I don't ever intend to sell it, so why not modify it?

If money was no worry, here's what I'd change out:

First, I'd upgrade from the original Magura hydraulic rim brakes to the current Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes. Easy decision.
Next, I'd like to replace the entire Sachs 3x8 gear train with the SRAM German engineered NX Eagle groupset. This would upgrade the 1996 bike to modern gearing and shifting and the engineering team responsible for this product came from the original Sachs team.

I would probably get new rims and seat post too. But I'm having a hard time replacing the forks as they provide much of the character of this retro bike. I would definitely refresh the elastomers though!

And as the topper, I'm thinking a repaint would be cool. Maybe a color that the Bike S was never produced in? How about PCA's Club Blau

This would be a fun 2022 project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Porsche Bike R Coast & Coast Adventure completed

With a bit of luck, last year I was able to buy a well-used 1999 Porsche Bike R. I have wanted a Porsche road bike for sometime, but they ar...