Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Back in the saddle



The 1998 Porsche Bike S might corner and brake well, but the 2004 Porsche Bike X is the speed demon of the family. 

This Bike X was originally a touring bike with a road bike frame and rims, mountain bike tires, gearing and front shocks and a comfy seat post shock too. After finding this rare bike on the German eBay site, I had to buy it. Once it finally arrived, I took it apart and rebuilt it into more of a road bike ... which means road bike slick tires, a firm seat post, new handle bars and carbon fiber forks. All of this work turned the Bike X into a screaming fast road bike.

I even used this bike last year to complete the infamous 129-mile, 15,000 ft Death Ride. The full story can be found here.

So today I jumped on the Bike X and rode from Glenshire to Donner Lake and back for a nice leisurely ride. I didn't push it hard, but had a great ride. The weather today was fantastic. Warm with a little breeze. My legs aren't up to last year's strength as I'm starting over after a long winter. I did run and cycled twice each this week though.

Along the ride I was stopped by a guy asking about my Porsche cycling jersey and Porsche bike. He said he has a 2012 Boxster. So we shared both Boxster and cycling stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...