Sunday, December 30, 2018

Getting faster

Today felt good. So good I did a few tempo repeats. I did a short jog to the park and then ran a lap on the inner loop in the high 7 to high 8 minute mile range. Then I jogged another lap before running again. I did this for four tempo laps and four slow jogs before heading home. The total distance was only 3.5 miles but I felt I could have gone further. But knowing I'm just getting started again, I didn't want to over do it.

I used to be a good runner, completing marathons in the 3:30-4:00 range and ran a mile in just over five minutes. As of last week I weighed 228. When I was running fast I was 186. So starting over requires logged a lot of miles to reduce weight and strengthen the muscles and bones again.

Today I'm down to 220 and the last couple weeks of jogging are starting to feel good. I'm off to a good start for 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...