Saturday, September 19, 2020

C&O Plan

With all of my 2020 training completed, it's now time to prepare for the big ride. My plan is to complete the 184.5 mile Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath across two days this Thursday and Friday. Thursday, I'll start at Mile 0 in Washington DC and ride 72 miles to Shepherdstown, WV.  

Shepherdstown will be an overnight, dinner and drinks at the Bavarian Inn, a German-themed hotel, restaurant and brewery. I wanted to attempt this ride in the fall, for cooler temperatures, but to also ride during the two-week Oktoberfest time period. Staying at the Bavarian Inn seemed like a perfect choice!  

After an evening of Oktoberfest food and bier, I'll get up early Friday morning and ride the remaining 110 miles to Cumberland, MD to complete the C&O. At least that's the plan. The weather, although looks good now, is changeable here. Riding 185 miles in the rain would be brutal so I'm hoping it holds.

I have ridden three sections of the C&O preparing for the long ride. I wanted to make sure I had the 1998 Porsche Bike S dialed in to the dirt path conditions and long miles. I'll start assembling all the gear I need tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...