Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Next: GAP

With the 184.5-mile C&O Canal Towpath ride now completed, I'm turning my attention to the next Porsche Bike journey. I can't think of a better ride to follow my C&O adventure than the bike path that connects the C&O to Pittsburgh ... the 148-mile Great Allegheny Passage. The GAP trail is a collection of old railroad lines that starts in Cumberland, Maryland (where I finished the C&O) and ends in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The GAP is also a dirt trail, but generally considered smoother than the C&O. It's mostly crushed limestone, but does have a 17-mile paved stretch. For this reason, I'm leaning toward riding the 2004 Porsche Bike X. The Bike X is a hybrid (touring) bike, with a road bike frame and 700c rims, but with mountain bike gearing, handlebars and tires. The Bike X was built as a touring bike, perfect for a ride like the GAP. But I changed the bike into more of a road bike for the 2017 Death Ride. So, I'll spend some time changing it back for this long distance, off-road adventure. I'll post updates on the conversion. I'm aiming to ride the GAP across two days in mid-May 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...