Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Porsche Bike S conquers Truckee "Nordschleife"

The Nurburgring Nordschleife is a race track in Germany known for its abundance of sharp crests, tight corners and narrow fast-moving straights. I have dubbed the Truckee Legacy Trail my "Nordschleife" for the same reasons.

I didn't sleep well last night and didn't feel like riding this morning. When I woke up and looked at the weather app on my phone, the temperature wasn't even 40 degrees ...  that didn't help.

I'm not sure how or why, maybe just muscle memory, I got up and put on my cold weather cycling gear. Next thing I know I'm bombing down my hill toward the Legacy Trail at full speed.

I started to realize the cold weather kept me pedaling fast to stay warm. The temperature also seem to keep other walkers with dogs off the trail. It was a clear and sunny morning with little wind. Perfect for riding fast. I was carrying a lot of speed and my legs felt good.

At some point around mile 2 or 3, I thought I could make a run at a personal best time on my standard short-course 12 mile ride on the Truckee Legacy Trail.

That kicked in the motivation and I flew along the Truckee River trail. I did see, and had to slow down for, a couple people on the trail. But not many. I also had to whistle at a deer to get him to move off the trail.

The Truckee Legacy Trail is a paved path. A very smooth and well maintained trail. It is narrow with undulating hills, fast high-speed sections and tight very slow corners. One down hill section is particularly difficult due to about eight bumps that you can catch air over, or thrown off your bike, if you go too fast.

Exactly like the Nurburgring Nordschleife. I enjoy this little trail immensely. It's short for a serious bike ride. But challenging and extremely fun to ride fast on.

Pushing hard for each of the 12 miles, I ended up achieving a new personal best for this out-and-back portion of the trail I repeatedly ride. 44 minutes and 52 seconds at an average speed of 16.2 mile per hour. My last fastest was 15.3 mile per hour average. Not bad considering some of the steep up hill sections and hard-braking corners.

Now I feel totally awake and ready for the day. Next time I don't feel like riding, or getting out of bed, I'll just remember this bike ride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...