Sunday, March 26, 2017

Porsche Bike S Springter ride


Years ago, my youngest son coined the phrase "springter" when he tired of the never-ending winter that ran right into spring. Technically, it wasn't winter anymore and it sure wasn't spring either, was his point.

It feels like Truckee has a fifth season this year. Springter is in full force. But even with the windy, cold and snowy conditions heading again toward Truckee, I needed to keep up my training schedule. I selected the 1998 Porsche Bike S again since the roads are still wet and muddy and decided to ride the 25 mile route out from Glenshire to Donner Lake and back.

Bundled up in my warmest riding gear, I rode along the Truckee River with some intermittent periods of clouds and sun until the sun gave way to the oncoming storm. Once out to Donner Lake I could feel rain drops on my face and jacket. The cold headwind was brutal. 

But turning around at the end of Donner Lake provided a nice tailwind that pushed me home ahead of the approaching storm. I ended up with a 25.41 mile ride.

I really love riding the Porsche Bike S. I enjoy riding the newer Porsche Bike X, but the Bike S is way more fun. It's kinda like comparing the Cayenne S and the Boxster. I really like driving the Cayenne, but anytime I get to drive the Boxster I remember how much I LOVE driving it.

The Bike S handles like a dream. It is a downhill monster. The unique frame geometry lowers the center of gravity and the frame stiffness improves handling and control during hard cornering. The Continental Speed King 2.2 mountain bike tires provide extreme grip and the Magura hydraulic brakes stop this bike on a dime. Riding 25 miles today reminded me how much I like riding this bike.

The Porsche Bike X is a good road bike and good for hill climbing, but the Bike S is a screamer on descents, rough terrain, sharp corners and hard braking.

I like having the option of the two bikes. But I'd choose the Bike S most of the time. Just like the Boxster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...