Wednesday, March 1, 2017

It's not only about the Porsche bikes, part 3

I mentioned my yoga workouts and training environment earlier in the week, today the focus is on the mind!

You can build the best bike (did that) and do the toughest training (doing that) but if you're not mentally prepared for a challenging long ride you will have a tough time. I learned that last year. So to better prepare myself for this year's cycling goals, I am also training my mind.

YouTube is a great resource for information on sharpening your mind for riding. Heck, YouTube is great for everything from learning how to rebuild a steerer tube bearing, yoga for cyclists to improving the brain cells for biking. YouTube has you covered!

So, this morning I watched "It's All About the Mind: The Psychology of Cycling" presented by Jim Taylor, Ph.D. Dr. Taylor is internationally recognized for his work in the psychology of performance in sport and business. In this video he shares his concept of prime cycling - which in large is determined by the mind.

It was an easy 44 minute video to watch while I was riding my stationary bike this morning. Training the body and mind all at once, not a bad way to multitask. 

I won't give too much away. Just watch the video. But the tools to focus the mind on pain, emotion and confidence are very helpful for cyclists ... or anyone for any sport or life endeavor.

I plan to watch this again prior to my big rides and use what I've learned when the road gets tough ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...