Sunday, September 8, 2019

Connecting trails

I found out that my two favorite rides actually have a connector trail, so this morning I put the two trails together for a 38-mile bike ride. I was looking to extend my rides and my seat time and this worked out perfectly.

I parked the 2006 Cayenne S in my usual shady spot and started on the Baltimore Washington International Airport bike trail, but then diverted on the connector trail and started on the Baltimore to Annapolis Trail. Heading down towards Annapolis gives me a total of 27 miles round-trip but I got cut short about a mile and a quarter before the end, where one of the bridges was out.

Turning around early did cut 2 miles off my total distance which would've been 40 miles total. But I'll save the complete 40 mile route for another day.

Getting back from the end of the Baltimore to Annapolis Trail, I picked back up on the Baltimore Washington Airport Trail and went around the airport back to my car.

It was a great 38 mile ride on a paved path on the 1998 Porsche Bike S. This is my longest ride so far this year and it sure felt good.

Ultimately to ride the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath, I need to be able to ride three consecutive days averaging 60 plus miles per day. So if I can get from 38 to 50 or 55 miles in the next couple months, then I'll start trying to repeat these rides on consecutive days. But I have a long time before next spring's ride to practice.

1 comment:

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...