Sunday, February 19, 2017

Dennis Yee shock rebuild, part 3

New Yorker and fellow Porsche bike friend, Dennis Yee, reports in on his front fork shock rebuild. I'll let Dennis update in his own words:

All out! All the old elastomers & spacers are out.

It was a rather easy task I would say. Brut force (pushing the stack down the tube) would have been harder as the elastomers were packed somewhat tightly against the inside walls of the stanchions. Gentle and patience (break them into chunks where they were at the top and pull the chunks out) worked well.

The magic tool is something all of us could get "free" from a paint store. I used the Benjamin Moore paint can opener. It has a wide hook on it and it worked magic in pulling those elastomers and spacers out.

Now all I need is to remove the particles left inside (not much). Fortunately only a tiny bit of elastomers are stucked on the surface so I don't expect much scrubbing is required.

I will pull out my rifle/shotgun cleaning rods and patches with alcohol and run it up and down the tubes . I think they should work well for this task.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...