Sunday, February 5, 2017

Swapping three sets of tires on two Porsche Bike S mountain bikes

OK, this might be a little difficult to explain.

Now that I have a real road bike in the 2004 Porsche Bike X, I really don't need to have road bike tires on my 1998 Porsche Bike S mountain bike.

I happen to have two of these red Porsche Bike S mountain bikes, one is a 1998 model year and the other is a 1996. The 1996 is all original except I put newer Continental RaceKing mountain bike tires on it some time ago. Since this 1996 Porsche Bike S is the first year this bicycle was produced, I have not ridden it much. I'm trying to leave it in its original state.

The 1998 Porsche Bike S on the other hand, I have heavily modified for long-distance cycling, including road bike tires.

But again, now with this Porsche Bike X road bike I really don't need a mountain bike with road bike tires.

So tonight I took the newer Continental Race King tires off the 1996 Bike S rims and moved them over to the 1998 Porsche Bike S rims.

Then, put the original tires back on the 1996 Bike S. Even though I could of just swapped tires and rims, I was not about to put 1996 rims on a 1998 bike!

The whole point of this little exercise was to put the original tires back on the 1996 Bike S, and put the Continental Race King tires on the 1998. Since the 1998 Bike S is my daily rider, I figure the newer tires would help me do some mountain bike cross training this spring.

Now I can use the 2004 Porsche Bike X on the road and the 1998 Porsche Bike S for off-road.

So, I said this would be confusing, so what I end up with is an all original 1996 Porsche Bike S to keep in pristine condition. A newer, by two years, 1998 Porsche Bike S to again be used for mountain bike riding. And a Porsche Bike X to be used for road bike riding.

Mostly, I did all this to have a fun and relaxing evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...