Monday, February 13, 2017

Wildflower Century

I just registered for the Wildflower Century bike ride in Chico, California happening on April 30, 2017. This is an amazing cycling event. Well attended. Fun and challenging courses. Great food and support. One of the best bicycle events in California.

I rode the 65-mile route last year with a group of my Grass Valley friends. They all had newer road bikes and I brought my 1998 Porsche Bike S mountain bike with road bike style mountain bike tires. So, it was kind of like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I did my best to keep up. The long straights were tough, but I could blow by them on the fast downhills stretches!

This year will be a different story. And a different event. The same group of guys plan to ride the 100-mile Century event. I just recently finished rebuilding a 2004 Porsche Bike X for just such a ride. I made it ideal for a century event. Lighter bike. Larger rims. Thinner tires. Taller frame. More gears. But still all Porsche.

So I'll return to the Wildflower not only ready to keep up, but to push the pace. And like last year I'll report the entire experience on this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...