Monday, May 15, 2017

New cassette for the 2004 Porsche Bike X


After the new chain was installed I experienced some gear slippage on the smaller gears on the rear cassette when pedaling hard. So I suspected the cassette needed to be replaced too. A very common problem - when a chain and cassette haven't likely ever been replaced before. The wear on the drivetrain will cause this gear slippage.

Since I wasn't a 100% sure and I have a big ride this coming weekend, I took the Porsche Bike X to Paco's Bike & Ski in Truckee, California for a quick look. Young bike mechanic Cody, agreed with my cassette worn-down theory and promptly replaced it with brand new shiny SRAM 9-speed, 11-34 cassette.

I elected to go with a SRAM cassette since SRAM bought out Sachs and still maintains a state of the art manufacturing facility in Schweinfurt Germany. Sachs produced all the gearing and shifting on the Porsche Bike S mountain bikes that I still ride.

The old cassette was a 11-32 tooth cassette. With the pending Death Ride, and all the uphill that goes with it, having a larger big gear in the cassette could prove helpful.

The new chain and new cassette look great on the bike. I'm hoping to get in a little uphill workout this afternoon to test it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...