Monday, May 1, 2017

Pleasure and pain: Porsche Bike X at the Wildflower Century


The Wildflower Century bicycle ride yesterday was my first big organized road ride of 2017 and first big ride on the recently rebuilt 2004 Porsche Bike X.

This was my second Wildflower event in Chico, California. But this year my riding friends and I opted to sign up for the full Century ride. Last year we rode the 65 mile route that included the infamously hilly Honey Run section. Yesterday riding the full Century, we climbed the Honey Run portion and also the equally difficult climb up to Table Mountain. The temperatures climbed into the 80's for the Table Top portion.

On the decent, my friends elected to shortcut part of the final miles so we only rode 71 miles instead of the full 100. Since I knew this was coming, I gave it everything I had on all of the flat stretches during the last 20 miles. My legs are sore today, but not injured. So I'm feeling pretty good about the effort - considering this winter was tough to do much distance training.

The 2004 Porsche Bike X performed marvelously. No mechanical issues, gears shifted well, brakes kept me under control on the high speed downhill sections and the smooth rolling was great on the flats. The bike performed to my highest hopes and aspirations.

The Wildflower ride was equally beautiful and difficult. The flowers were in bloom and the grass was green. The views were incredible and seeing the 4,000 riders was energizing. I loved the event.

The heat, hills and headwind made it challenging. I don't do anything halfway, so riding hard made the day painful. I burned over 3,500 calories in 5 and a half hours. Last year I rode the 1998 Porsche Bike S mountain bike. Riding on a true road bike this year was so much easier. But instead of enjoying that, I just went faster.

Will I do the Wildflower next year? I sure want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...