Sunday, June 18, 2017

Death Ride training is difficult


In the last nine days I have covered 209 miles riding the 2004 Porsche Bike X all over Truckee and Tahoe. All those miles hurt my riding performance today. Well, the miles and staying up most of the night watching the 24 Hours of Le Mans. My annual tradition of connecting my computer to the 60 inch flat screen to stream the twice around the clock classic sports car race couldn't stop me from my scheduled training for the July 129-mile, 5 mountain pass Death Ride. But staying glued to the TV all night did take it's toll.

My plan was to ride four mountain passes and 80 miles today. But riding up the second pass, the 8,900 ft. elevation Mount Rose, I felt a slight early cramping that I didn't feel the last time I rode up this mountain pass. So, instead of continuing to ride further from my Glenshire base camp, I turned around on Mount Rose's summit and headed back - basically doing the same route I rode last Saturday. But to get some extra miles I rode through Truckee and out and around Donner Lake.

I didn't achieve the four mountain passes but I did get just under 77 miles and my longest ride to date on the 2004 Porsche Bike X. The temperature reached into the 80s today. I needed warm weather training as temperatures at the Death Ride can get into the 90s. So today was good practice. I also rode about 9,900 feet elevation gain today. Another good training for the 15,000 ft of elevation gain at the Death Ride. I also burned a ton of calories - 4,300.

What I learned today is rest is important. So I'm going to take some recovery time the next three days and then one more long ride next weekend and then rest up for the Death Ride July 8.

* Note: I, again, turned off the Adidas GPS mid-ride and had to restart it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Porsche Bike R Coast & Coast Adventure completed

With a bit of luck, last year I was able to buy a well-used 1999 Porsche Bike R. I have wanted a Porsche road bike for sometime, but they ar...