Thursday, June 1, 2017

Yet another Porsche Bike X Donner Lake ride


Riding from Glenshire to Donner Lake and back appears to be my favorite cycling route. At least on this blog this ride shows up a lot. Today I needed a short and easy ride before this weekend's long ride out to Lake Tahoe and back. I did change it up a little bit by riding around Donner Lake. Usually I just do an out and back. Today I wanted to see if the back side of Donner Lake was clear of snow and if there was any road damage from the harsh winter - I found both.

My legs feel good, but my lower back has been hurting for a week or longer. Nothing a massage Saturday morning can't fix!

The 2004 Porsche Bike X is still performing well. One pedal arm feels a little sloppy. I'll take a look at that next week. But the Bike X is shifting smoothly and rolling fast. All the hard work over the winter is paying off. 

This weekend starts the beginning of the end of my Death Ride training. The July 8th 129-mile Death Ride ascends five mountain passes. So for my final month of training I'm going to add a mountain pass per weekend over the next four weekends before recovering and resting up for the Death Ride.

Here's my plan:

June 4 - 2 mtn passes. Brockway Summit twice and ride along Tahoe for 60 miles
June 11 - 3 mtn passes. Brockway Summit twice, Mountain Rose once for 60 miles
June 18 - 4 mtn passes. Brockway Summit four times for 50 miles.
June 25 - 4 mtn passes. Brockway Summit twice, Mountain Rose twice for 80 miles

Then the weekend prior to the Death Ride will be an easy 40 miles with just one mountain pass. During the week I'll stick to my Tuesday and Thursday rides in the medium distance length. 

I'm hoping this final push will help me complete the Death Ride in July.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...