Sunday, June 4, 2017

Porsche Bike X two mountain summit ride



I had scheduled riding two mountain passes and 60 miles for this weekend's Death Ride training. But when a friend told me he had a last minute chance to participate in the organized ride around Lake Tahoe, I thought maybe I could do a little of both.

He started from South Lake Tahoe and I left about the same time from Glenshire. His route was around the lake clockwise. I rode from Glenshire through Truckee, out Highway 267 through Martis Valley and over Brockway Summit (first summit of my two summit training) to Kings Beach heading towards Tahoe City. This is where I started picking up riders. Traveling the opposite direction, I kept an eye out for my friend. Getting to Tahoe City without seeing him at the rest stop, I kept riding south on Highway 89. I didn't see him until almost to Homewood. Turning around, we rode back to Tahoe City, stopping briefly at the rest stop, and continued back to Kings Beach to the lunch rest stop.

From there, we rode together to Incline where I turned around and rode back to Kings Beach and back over Brockway Summit (second summit of my two summit day) before heading back through Truckee to Glenshire.

The ride ended up at 75 miles. Longer than the around Lake Tahoe route by a couple miles. I got to see the amazing Tahoe views as well as my goal to get in two mountain summits. Today's training also including much of what I'll experience on the Death Ride including a cold morning, warmer afternoon, a nasty headwind and of course, uphill!

The 2004 Porsche Bike X performed well, dare I say perfect. Knock on wood, I hope the bike rides this well at the Death Ride.

I should note, this was the longest ride on the Bike X to date. Dare I say a world record on this bike. In all my internet research, I have not found anyone that has ridden a Porsche road bike further. So a world record it is!

Next weekend's schedule is a three mountain pass ride. My entire body feels the pain of riding 75 miles today. But I felt strong even to the end. So a good training day and feeling a little confident about the upcoming Death Ride. However, the next two weekends are the make-or-break training rides. Fingers crossed they go as well as today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Phase One Complete: Sea Gull Century x 1999 Porsche Bike R

Last Saturday I rode the recently refurbished 1999 Porsche Bike R on the 104-mile Sea Gull Century in Eastern Maryland. This ride was the ...